Holiday Wall Hanging DIY
WHAT YOU NEED:
+ 3-4 oranges
+ I large branch (preferably one that has fallen naturally found in nature)
+ a handful of smaller sticks
+ sari ribbon, thread, twine or yarn
+ scissors and a glue gun
+ (optional) essential oils
PREP STEPS TO TAKE:
1. Slice your oranges into about 1/4" slices.
2. (optional) for an added natural potpourri affect, add a few drops of essential oils to each slice. I used Young Living's Christmas Spirit, Cinnamon Bark + Ginger.
3. Place your orange slices in the oven on the lowest setting and let slowly heat for about 5-7 hours, then turn oven off and let sit in the oven over night.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1. Lay out your pieces to find the design you would like to go with.
2. Use a needle + thread to tie the orange pieces together. You can string them together as close or as far apart as you would like.
3. Use your sari ribbon or twine and tie around the tops of your smaller sticks. I use a dab of hot glue to make sure they stay in place. You can tie each one separately or all together on one strand like I did here.
4. Once you have your strands of oranges and sticks together just tie them to the larger branch in the place you want them to hang.
5. Use a piece of the same ribbon or twine to make a hanger on top. Just tie one end on (I use hot glue here as well) and then tie it to the other end leaving enough room in between for it to hang nicely on a hook.
You could get creative with the colors to make it more holiday by using red + green ribbons or yarns, or adding dried cranberries to the design. I wanted something simple and earthy to blend in with my decor, but have fun with it! This would make an excellent craft to do with your kiddos for the holidays, or for any time of the year with nature exploring!
For more info about essential oils, visit my page here.